Thursday, January 13, 2011

EASY Mexican Chicken

There's nothing a busy mom on the go loves more then coming home to find dinner already cooked.  And really, how often does that happen...UNLESS you use a quick crock pot recipe you can throw together before you run out the door in the morning.

Ingredients:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
1 Jar Salsa - It can be any kind.  I usually use the store brand because it the cheapest and it doesn't mater much since it's going to slow cook for hours.  You can also choose mild or spicy depending on your preference.

Optional Ingredients:
Cooked Rice
Tortilla Wraps
Shredded Cheese - I used a Mexican blend 

I threw the frozen chicken in the crock pot yesterday morning and then dumped the jar of salsa on top.  I filled the jar about 1/4 of the way with water, swished it around to get the last of the salsa out and also dumped that in the crock pot.  Then I set the crock pot on low and left it for about 8 hours.

When I got home, I took a fork and shredded the chicken.  It basically falls apart from cooking so long. 


I warmed up some tortilla wraps on our flat top grill on our stove, but you can use a skillet or just microwave with a wet paper towel covering them.  I used left over rice from the chinese stir-fry I made on Monday night, but you could use any cooked rice.  My favorite is the Uncle Bens 90 second pouches and they even make them in brown rice now (since we are trying to eat healthy)!  I put some rice on the tortilla, placed the chicken salsa mixture on top, covered with cheese and then rolled them up to eat.  You can also top with all your favorite taco toppings, such as sour cream, lettuce, olives, etc. You can even serve the chicken mixture directly over rice, without the tortillas.  This chicken has so many possiblities once it is cooked and it is so cheap and easy!


I made this for dinner last night and it is a family favorite every time!  Hope you enjoy it too!

1 comment:

  1. DELICIOUS!! This recipe was so easy, it's one of my family's new favorites! The crock pot did all the work. Perfect recipe if you are on the go (or if chasing after a ten month old keeps you from being able to prepare a meal in the kitchen like you used to)! Thank you Kara!

    ReplyDelete